So a few random observations, questions and things that have made me chuckle as I've lived a Mom's life this week.
1) As you learned already, I enjoy hearing unusual kids' names. The kicker was at story time at our library Thursday (attempt #2 - it was just as out of control as the last time when I went and vowed to never go again!) ... at any rate, poor little Deuteronomy is going to have to learn to write her name when she gets to kindergarten. No Joke. Her sister Naomi has a much easier road ahead!
2) We look forward to playdates with our new N. Seattle baby friends ... this fall we will get to welcome Brazill twin girls in September, a Smith boy in October, a Gunter baby in Nov. and a Nap baby in Dec. ... That should mean it'll be easy to find accompaniment on our Green Lake stroller treks!
3) A clerk at TJMaxx said to her co-worker "I've worn a skirt for the last week and my legs still aren't tan" to which her co-worker replied "But you've been working inside ... " Did she really think... ?
4) The center of a gift wrap roll - the big long cardboard tube - is a fantastic toy, good for many many minutes of toddler enjoyment!
5) So far I've come up with a bag of hair scrunchies, stickers, and lift-a-flap books. Please share other ideas for keeping a 16 month old busy at convention!!! Chelan's just around the corner.
So Toriana and I went to see the new Woodland Park penguin exhibit - here she is making a grand introduction ... I was amused that they pulled in a Latin American band and the members all dressed in white pants and black jackets and looked suspiciously penguin-ish.
Mike, Tawn and Gwyndolyn visited one weekend ... what fun to have a playmate!
What a cutie pie!
Sun shining in Seattle ... nice!
The next weekend ... Mother's Day ... here's my little munchkin making fish lips and NOT wanting to stop for a photo with Mom !
We did manage one family photo before she took off again
The next weekend ... Mother's Day ... here's my little munchkin making fish lips and NOT wanting to stop for a photo with Mom !
We did manage one family photo before she took off again
So, we've got a little climber on our hands ... she asks to be held and then promptly wants to climb onto the counter, table, or whatever high surface she can now access from her new perch in your arms ... so this video is NOT one to show your kids if you've successfully taught them that crawling on the counter is illegal ... as for us, well, it provides entertainment so it is occasionally allowed with close supervision! For your viewing pleasure ...
11 comments:
Oh yes, the things we do to keep them entertained while we try to get a little something done. Sally sits at the sink while I am washing dishes and splashes around with the wooden spoon. At least the dishes are done and she isn't complaining at my feet.....;o)
Hmm, things to keep a toddler occupied in meeting-- if you hit upon anything that really works, let us know! :-) Marilla is starting to like scribbling with a crayon in a notebook, good for about two minutes! I like the bag full of hair scrunchies-- bags they can empty and refill seem to be popular. I love the video of your active little climber-- what a personality! Enjoy!
Oh my you have a little climber (and a future cook by the looks of how she knows how to turn on the oven already!). As for convention suggestions...my kids always liked those Colorforms (as long as she's not one to put them in her mouth). The beauty of them is they stick and stick again, so can be used for several years.:)
Tristan will not be allowed to watch that video - yikes, he'd be unstoppable! :)
Nothing occupies him for too long (I'm dreading trying to keep him quiet and contained for 5 1/2 hours per day), but he likes sliding a small colored pencil in and out of the spiral portion of a notebook, a bunch of the magnetic scenes in tin boxes, and finger puppets a la Mary (mostly he likes taking them out of the box and putting them back in).
This video is sooo funny, and so tipical for this age, when they like to explore everything they see. I love every stage, and it is exciting every time they do something new, even if it's about the second kid.
As far as keeping the kid entertained in meetings, I think WE should get lessons from you, I am amazed how quiet Toriana is in meetings. We try NEW things, and when we find something that keeps them entertain longer, we save it for the next meeting. Stickers work, also 2-3-4 blocks that they can put together and then take apart again...
For quiet toys at convention, my kids always liked little finger puppets. I think I saw some at top ten toys in Greenwood.
You should check out top ten toys if you haven't already. They have many, many quiet toys.
Also, when my kids were that age, I tried to keep them in meeting for one hour - after that I was happy to take them out and roam around outside.
Good luck!!! :)
and What in the world where those parents thinking that named their child Deuteronomy? I hope for her sake they haven"t shortened it because then her name is Doo or Doodie! Poor Thing!
got a smile out of reading and watching this...thanks!
Talk about a baby boom! That's exciting! And the video...oh my. I must admit, I'm glad Damion doesn't climb much. Once in a while he gets up on the back of the couch, and he did climb a portion of a tree today at the convention grounds...maybe he's just getting the hang of it! As for convention toys - Damion loved stacking some very very small tupperware containers together, filling them with raisins and dumping out again. That's all he did for one entire meeting. (Yes, he has an unusually long attention span!)
I know I mentioned this on Facebook, but I deem it worthy of mentioning again... I LOVE her little dress. Beautiful.
Loved the video! I know convention's come and gone but thought I'd add that Paige also likes sliding a pencil through the spirals of a small notebook. She also enjoys peeling crayons and that does take her awhile!!
Post a Comment